Re[2]: [at-l] Re: Icons, the ATC & LD Hikiking

>"... I fail to comprehend his unique importance."

MacKaye is important because he was the first to put together a comprehensive
vision for a series of interconnected trails linking the ridgelines of the
Appalachian Mountains. These linked trails are now called, collectively, "The
Appalachian Trail."

 MacKaye is not unique in his knowledge of the interrelationships between plants
 and  creatures of the natural world, but as one of the nation's first
 university  trained foresters he was a pioneer. We are discussing trail
 history, concerns,  and Appalachian Trail hiking. The words of a person of
 MacKaye's unique  background, who some believe to be the creator of the trail,
 sort of naturally  come to mind, among others, when discussing these matters.

  Some of us find MacKaye's life and words provide useful insights and suggest
  that others might find similar benefits.

  This thread stems in part from Jim's claim that Benton MacKaye is irrelevant
  to the thru hikers today. I mentioned an instance where I thought MacKaye
  would have been relevant.

  That doesn't mean that I think MacKaye is the only source of trail knowledge,
  just that I think he is an important early source of Appalachian Trail
  knowledge.

  Weary