[at-l] Got a question

In a message dated 3/14/2003 8:01:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, Toritalk8 wr=
ites:

> Why do I feel like I have lost him? He is such a genuine, kind, caring pe=
rson. But he is not there anymore. He is so distracted and so seemingly unc=
oncerned about some things. Well, like the time away.

Hang in there Tori, from my experience, this is very typical for thruhikers=
 about to start. I've personally experienced it with at least three people =
I have been very close to who left me to go hike. It is part of the process=
 of becoming focused on the hike and will probably continue, to an extent, =
throughout the whole hike.

That's the bad news, the good news, its not personal. I think it's much har=
der to take though when you are envious of their adventure. I use the word =
envious rather than than jealous because its probably not that you want to =
deny him the experience, you just want to go too!

This is going to be a summer of "him" and not you, so you will need to figu=
re out a way to get through it. deal with it now and the next 6 months will=
 be a lot easier.  Make sure you schedule those things into your life which=
 enhance it (time with friend, personal treats, etc.)

POG