From: Orange Bug [mailto:orangebug74@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 9:41 PM
To: bleederguy@adelphia.net; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Red Cross AFES Program

And thanks for doing, Bleederguy!

To the rest of you:

Volunteers help heal the errors of those who err with the Red
Cross and other organizations -- even the ATC, AMC and others.
There are plenty of examples of policies gone wrong, among
charities - as witnessed by the Red Cross, United Way and many
religious organizations. Yet there is much more good donated and
spread.

It is excellent than many have the funds to provide charitable
organizations - big and small contributions. We had a similar
thread ranting about American politics and the perceived role or
lack of roll of the small contributor and volunteer. Many of us
appear to be biased against anything that has big business, big
government and big organization associated with it.

Yet all charity, like politics, is local. I'm involved in
raising money to eradicate Polio(for one drive), from a country
that hasn't seen a case in 3 decades. I saw a jogger tonight,
with the obvious muscle atrophy of one of the last polio cases
in this country. I know some of the money Rotary, the Gates
Foundation, Unicef and others raise will be wasted. Yet I also
know that the investment of time and money will end one more
scourge, even as we bicker about politics, economics and
charities. I appreciate the nickles and dimes I collect, as well
as the occasional big check. Frankly, I prefer the nickles and
dimes.

If you don't believe in a charity, excellent! Don't give to it.
If you believe in a charity, good, but check to assure your
investment is worthwhile. If you don't have the money to spare,
recall that charity begins at home. Volunteer if the mood suits
you.

But don't be a bigot against every charity that happens to be
successful in growing their foundation and authority in the
community.

Bill...