[at-l] NFP CEO pay

--

       As an outside party to AMC goings-ons I see the situation from a
different perspective.

       If a $200,000 dollar per anum chair results in a greater amount of
services and land conservation then you have to ask if the price of reducing
his salary is worth it to the overall program? What would happen if an
internal shake-up happened and a more frugal leadership lead to a serious
drop in the AMC program?

      Another valid question is asking what real value does a high dues and
fees price tag have in the overall scheme? Yes, the club could involuntarily
become more attuned to a 'gentrified' constituency, but this isn't
necessarily a lethal burden. After all, aren't we looking to familiarize
those with the most means to damage the NE forests with a preservation ethic?

        I know this attitude plays right into the hands of wolfish
politicians looking to get public lands users to foot high fees in order to
fund other issues. In AMC's case, though, this objective is directly served,
so giving a little more to get a lot more isn't too bad an offense. If you
look at the annual salary of the profiled average AMC member $65 is a small
percentage of their income. If a member really loved the mountains and saving
open space, the gouging could be justified. It's for a good cause.

       Where we really need to look is how persons not able to meet AMC's
member profile could possibly negotiate around this honorable imposition. One
way is to forfeit a membership card and magazine and just give 10 or 20 bucks
for conservation's sake. I would imagine if all the members who quit AMC due
to fees gave only $10 each it would really add up.

       The other way is to figure that a mile walk down to the legal camping
areas is worth the $68 you don't need to pay. Here is a prime place to
practice hammocking in the rough hillside with plenty of fir trees.

      My only gripe with AMC is that they could do better for through-hikers
who have no choice but to traverse the Whites. I know extra AT-Only
campsites, lofts, and dungeons could be added without much trouble...