[at-l] Rock Gap Shelter (NC)

Rock Gap Shelter was full the last time I was there, and not
from locals. There are better places to hang a hammock than to
erect a tent. The trail in this area is fairly close to the
road. If you felt the least bit unsafe, try going down a trail
from Glassmine Gap (lost the name of it) that heads over to the
state park. There are many excellent campsites on this trail,
not at all far from the AT. There was water down that trail
also.

If Rock Gap is full and feels strange, particularly with locals,
then you are also likely to have a difficult time at Rainbow
Springs Campground, given that you will have about 1 mile of
trail and 1 mile of road walk - with whoever got your anxiety
going available on that road walk. There is no readily apparent
water between Rock Gap and Winding Stair Gap.

I think you have your mileages off a bit, also. If you are
planning on Bly to Standing Indian Mt (not shelter), you
probably can make it past Albert Mt. the next day and the
shelter just north of there. Thence you could make it to Wayah
Bald or Wine Spring. Rocky Bald to Wesser is a pretty good long
way if I recall correctly. There really isn't much there, not
even that good a view.

The benefit of a hammock is the freedom to declare a campsite
just about anywhere you please. Walk until the walk ain't what
you want to do. I expect you'll find this a fun and challenging
trip. Plan to spend time frollicking on Silar Bald. Waste an
afternoon there, then spend a couple of hours getting up to
Wayah Bald or Wine Spring.

Bill...