[at-l] What to think?

A key question to ask is whether he will use the gear for other
purposes, ranging from car camping, to hostel walking, to helping with
boy scout adventures, to serious alpine mountaineering.  Many people
will do one long distance hike in their life, but lots of other, shorter
trips.  For those folks, going ultralight does not make sense, but as
some other posters have noted, going "lighter" definitely makes sense!
Shooting for a winter base weight under 30 lbs (and under 25lbs summer)
just makes good sense - especially since you can accomplish that with
gear that will serve you well under a number of different
hiking/camping/climbing situations.

thru-thinker