[at-l] What to think?

My daughter's future husband is visiting me in Vermont and we are having a
discussion on whether he should buy ultra-light equipment or start more
conventional and work his way down with experience.
His experience he has walked the British Isles "end to end", he is from
Wales, in Greece and the Alps but it's all village to village.  He has no
overnight on the trail experience.
I think he should just go ultra from the get go.  Reasoning is; if the other
stuff were not available, he would never miss it.  He has real good mental
hike experience and does not need a comfort trip.
The other side of the coin says he has No Real Backpacking Experience.  He
needs to pay his dues.
What do think?

Beau Bushor
Bleeder Guy