Re[4]: [at-l] Dogs (and Shelters)

>"...You think the fact that the MATC would build 2 huge lean-tos just a skip
>away factored into the decision?" asks Rick.

Had they asked my opinion, I would have urged them to leave the Avery col
shelter alone on Bigelow Mountain in Maine.

 Among my favorite hikes was to climb to Horns Pond in May, just before the
 black flies, eat a nice breakfast -- real eggs, may be some bacon, campfire
 biscuits -- spend an hour or two fishing the pond (don't tell anyone, but it's
 stocked with legal-sized fish these days) , easing over the ridge to Avery, set
 up camp in the shelter, fry my fish (well occasionally) and then hike out the
 fire warden trail, after a good night's sleep, a leisurely breakfast  and a
 climb to the summit of Avery peak.

 The excuse for tearing down and burning the shelter allegedly was to decrease
 use in a fragile area. I think someone just wanted to have a big bon fire.

 At least one of the old Horns Pond shelters has been removed. The last I heard
 the second one was being preserved as a historic structure. It dates from the
 CCC days of the 30s.

 The alleged reason for the two new shelters was to remove camping to the other
 side of the ridge from the watershed of the pond. Being a cynic, I think a
 couple of guys whose hobby is building shelters, wanted to build some more
 shelters :-)

 If anyone from MATC reads this, I'm just joking. All these changes resulted
 from absolutely thorough and reasonable decisions, designed to protect the
 trail, the alpine environment and the interests of hikers.

 Everyone else can take my comments for whatever, if anything, they may be
 worth.

 Weary