[at-l] Sages ravine

cosmo catalano, jr wrote:

>We have three trails here:
>
>The AT--which as you know runs N-S, generally--is parallel to, about
>2 miles west and 1500-2000ft higher than Undermountain Rd, also known
>as Route 41.
>
>The Undermountain Trail is a blue blaze access trail between Rt 41
>and the AT.  It runs E-W.  There is a parking lot where this trail
>meets Rt 41.
>
>The Paradise Lane Trail branches north off the Undermountain Trail
>and runs more or less parallel to the AT, traversing the eastern
>skirts of Bear Mtn.  It rejoins the AT after it descends the northern
>slope of Bear Mtn, and just before the AT reaches the Sages Ravine
>area.  It is an attractive trail, passing through dense stands of
>Mountain Laurel.  Try it in early June!

Cosmoo

Thanks for the information.

The AT map that comes with the guide for CT and MA also shows 2 other
"dotted lines" which I assumed were trails.  They both lead west from the
AT.

The first leads west from the AT about half-way down the north (steep) slope
of Bear Mt, just where it flatttens out a bit.  It comes in just before the
Paradise Lane Trail (which enters from the east).

The second comes into the AT just after the AT crosses the stream and starts
to climb Mt. Race.  It cuts sharply back to the left and goes UP the ravine
on the north side (other side from the AT).

Both trails seem to head towards East Street in the town of Washington.  The
second trail, also swings back to West Street.

Are these trails maintained / viable?

Thanks
Pb