Re[2]: [at-l] Dogs (and Shelters)

--
In a message dated 2/26/2003 3:55:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> Virtually all of us carry the gear needed to live completely off our backs,
> since during the peak seasons one can never assume any more that a shelter
> is
> likely to have space available.

I met a couple hikers on the trail and one in particular  that decided to go
lighter and shelterless, no tent or tarp and depend on the AT shelters for
shelter.  He was easily able to hike faster than most and did "work for
stays" at all the AMC Huts, which pissed off most of us around him.  Once we
got to Maine, we were all hoping that that he'd get stuck in the rain when he
reached a packed shelter and none would have been inclined to make room.
Never happened but....

Needless to say, this guy didn't get much respect.....

Sly