[at-l] To buy now or wait.. tis the question

Hey Sparky, You've gotten a lot of good advice already, but here is my
two cents:

1)  Someone in a prior post used the word "system" - this is an
important concept to keep in mind . . . what works best for your own
"system" of hiking/camping?  How does your gear work together [or at odds?]

2)  Look into Red Ledge rain wear and consider the possibility that I am
right when I say that gortex is useless in the southeast . . . at least
in any season other than the dead of winter.  You can get a great Red
Ledge rain parka with taped seams, pit zips, hood, etc. for less than
fifty bucks; ditto for their excellent rain pants.  These make great
layering items and are very lightweight.  They use a waterproof
breathable fabric and seem to work well [but, again, you WILL get wet
from either sweat, humidity or rainfall - or all three - when hiking on
the AT in spring, summer and fall].

3)  Look into a smaller, lighter pack - your pack WILL end up defining
how much weight you carry more than any other item you buy.

4)  Definitely wait - each year it seems like there are more and more
items being designed and manufactured with long distance hikers in mind;
plus, there tend to be significant price reductions once something is
out for a year or two [great example - the Tiki headlamps - hot in 2001
and selling for $40+ - now there are a number of competitive items out
there (check out the Aurora) and prices have come down].

5)  Consider whether you can buy gear that will serve well for a
thruhike and also serve your other hiking/climbing/paddling/mtn climbing
needs.

Have fun - I swear, these days, half the fun of a thruhike is comparing
notes re gear, and buying stuff! :)

thru-thinker
[clark wright]