[at-l] To buy now or wait.. tis the question

> Do I buy the gear now or do I wait till I am closer to my
> start date?    If waiting closer... how much closer?

You've got a lot of time, so I wouldn't buy anything yet...  When you get to
within 1 year, then I'd say start buying things.

In between now and then, start familiarizing yourself with what's out there.
Joining this list is a good move.  Also check out www.backpackgeartest.org
and the list for that website backpackgeartest on Yahoo groups.  The
backpackinglight group is also a good source for gear discussions.

Within 6 months of reading all of this stuff, you'll be a gear expert - at
least on paper...  You'll know all the lingo, and will be able to make
educated decisions on your purchases.  In the end, this may mean that you'll
actually spend MORE money, but it may also mean that you'll spend less -
because you'll hear about discounts and sales from the rest of us...

Shane