[at-l] - AT "spooks" - My Contribution

In 2001, the one place I felt spooked was just south of the Shenandoah
National Park; I was hiking hard and late to reach Rockfish Gap and
finish up a 22.7 mile day.  The day began at Rusty's Hard Times Hollow,
which was weird enough, given that there were only a couple of other
hikers and a very grumpy Rusty there.  As I hiked in late afternoon past
the Paul C. Wolfe Shelter, I remembered reading something about it, or
something near it, being haunted.  As I walked on in the failing light,
I started to see weird, tied plant patterns, placed right in the middle
of the trail.  There literally were over a hundred of them in the 4-5
miles between the shelter and Rockfish Gap (yes, I counted).  They
seemed pretty clearly made by human hands, and were arranged in various
patterns within the trailway.  They seemed unusual enough to me that I
took a very huried (not very good) pic:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/aqg

Anyone know if these are some kind of Wiccan pattern or something?

thru-thinker