[at-l] Cost to Enter National Parks may go up...

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 04:06 PM, McDermott wrote:

> However,  it is a far different story with a thru hiker.  The thru hiker
> does not have any CHOICE in the matter.  He cannot go someplace else if
> he does not want to pay the fee.  He would be forced to it.  Being
> forced to pay any fee, without having any realistic alternative, is in
> itself unfair.  It would actually be more like a tax as opposed to an
> entry fee because unlike the motorist, the hiker would not have the
> choice to go somewhere else, without having to pay.

Nobody forces a thru hiker to hike.

I actually expected to pay fees to  enter National Parks and was
surprised to find out that foot travelers generally don't have to pay.
I don't think it's completely unreasonable to charge hikers to enter
parks.
As a hiker, I don't *want* to pay to enter, but I would.

-amy