[at-l] Vest vs. Jacket and Down vs. Synthetic

First, I'd refer you to my other post - would just add to that my
personal observation that a down jacket is too much - both in terms of
bulk and warmth . . . more "thinner" layers [with full front zips] give
you the most flexibility.  Since I already owned it, and since it gives
more insulation per ounce, I took my 30-year old down vest on my 2001
hike instead of a fleece vest . . . since then, I've bought and used a
fleece vest and I am now positive that the down vest gives more bang for
the ounce, and compresses to near nothing . . . also, the down vest does
a nice job of serving as a pillow layer at night! :)

thru-thinker