[at-l] Vest vs. Jacket and Down vs. Synthetic

Since I get cold easily and will be starting in
Springer in mid-March, I am trying to make some tough
decisions about layering.  I am hiking alone and want
to have enough warmth protection to ensure I will
never be unable to get warm.  So I have gotten
competing advice about insulating layers.  I already
have a light-weight Capilene thermal top and some
polypro bottoms.  I am trying to decide which outer
layers to buy:  down or synthetic vest or jacket plus
rain/wind shell.  How many outet layers are enough?
Can I get away with just the thermal top, vest, and
shell or should I invest in a jacket?  Could I go with
the vest if I also have a light fleece or another,
heavier thermal to add a layer?

Thanks again for your advice,

Turtle