[at-l] Re: Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs

Well if you want to keep the food weight down then just stop in every town =
and re-supply. :)

Actually, that's a little easier said than done. The next reasonably easy t=
o reach town after Harpers Ferry is Fayettesvill just a couple miles away f=
rom Caledonia State Park. Call it 60 miles from Harpers Ferry.

While there are a couple towns between Harpers Ferry and Caledonia SP I've =
not been to them. Boonsboro, MD is about 2.5 miles west on the road crossin=
g by South Mountain Inn (supposed to be very good food there). Other small =
towns not too far from the trail include South Mountain and Blue Ridge Summ=
it which are both near the MD/PA border.

The stretch between Caledonia SP and Boiling Springs is easy hiking. There =
is a snackbar and conviencence store at Pine Grove Furnace State Park that'=
ll do a good job of feeding a hungry hiker. The resturaunt near Tagg Run ca=
mpground (about a 0.6 miles north of tagg Run Shelter via the trail nand th=
en right on the road); and the general store, maybe a quarter mile left on =
PA 34 are good too. Then you have Boiling Springs.

This is a pretty easy stretch of trail and I can't see you needing even clo=
se to two weeks. But, if you do have the time and inclination you can easil=
y get to Gettysburg from Fayetteville (the hotel owner who give you a ride =
there and back for a small charge). You're also not far from ANtietam Battl=
efield which is worth a visit. And the state parks throughout this area are=
 all enjoyable.

Keep in mind that in the summer it is going to be hot especially out in the=
 open (some of the PA hiking is pretty exposed).

The ALDHA Companion has a slew of good info on the towns that are along thi=
s route. Have fun. Oh and make sure you take time for a swim. The lake at P=
ine Grove Furnance is exceeingly swimmable especially when it is exceedingl=
y hot.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **
**        Ultralight backpacker   http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **