[at-l] Self defense on the trail

In a message dated 1/10/2003 3:38:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, Slyatpct wri=
tes:

> LOL... I've been informed that I may be wrong!   How can
> that be?  : )  That
> mace may be is illegal, but not pepper spray.

Well, it is illegal to carry it in Massachusetts if you don't have a Firear=
ms Identification (FID) card issued by the state. If you are a non-resident=
 , you would have to apply for, and be granted, a License to Carry Firearms=
 as they do not grant FID cards to non-residents. If you are caught carryin=
g it without the proper ID, you might be looking at a year in jail.

So, for all practical hiking purposes you are correct, Sly.

POG