[at-l] Who cares?

--
not at all - you mentioned a lot of things that matter to me and many
others, too . . . the trickiest word in your post is the word
"accomplishment" - you can do all the other things you talked about by
hiking section hikes anywhere in the world, or hiking anywhere you can
find enough wilderness to stay out for 4-10 months in a row . . . - but
when you use a word like "accomplishment," you then tend to get
inevitably into linear thinking about a beginning and an end, and then
that tends to bring up the subject of just what are your own personal
rules re how you are gonna get from your beginning to your end, and then
you start talking to others about it, and then you learn about this
thing called the ATC, and its definition of the AT, and white blazes,
blue blazes, trips to town, walking without a pack for a day, etc. -
pretty soon, as you've no doubt already seen on this list, you can get
some right passionate opinions . . .  there is a lot of good stuff in
the many posts recently on defining a thru-hike, along with some right
harsh judgments, too . . . you will continue to work this out in your
own mind for many, many months, if not years to come - but never forget
the passion for hiking, and then hopefully wanting to preserve this
thing we call the AT as it exists right now - and then we'll all try to
figure out how to maybe make it grow in the years ahead! :)

thru-thinker