From: "Clark Wright" <icw@esisnet.com>
To: "Datto" <datto_atl2@yahoo.com>
Cc: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Dr. Zimmermand Tip 2

Great post, Datto - but I would add one philosophical bit of
ambivalence, which I have struggled with for over 20 years now:  if you
are taught to never quit, and get started down a path that you later
learn is not true to your heart or your self, is it the better part of
valor to QUIT that path and try to return or begin walking on a
different path that you at that point believe is truer to who you are,
or is it important to keep getting up and never quitting in a career,
marriage, religion, mission, etc. that you are no longer satisfied with
on some level?  I hope this makes some sense - I guess one way I would
put it is that in order for Fritz Kreisler to finally come back to his
truest self-expression, he also had to QUIT a bunch of interim careers
too!  I presently am struggling with just that issue in terms of my
career - I've always been a victim of my success, and my training to
never QUIT - it took almost a nervous breakdown from stress and burnout
for me to finally "quit" my high-powered law firm job, but a tiny part
of me says "you were a quitter to do that."  And, in a marriage or
career, there are always challenges and potential moments of self-doubt
. . . so the REAL key to life is two-fold:  Number one, as Datto's post
illustrates, you have to have real perserverance and staying power; and
- number two- you have to find a way to not let a one-track mindedness
on never quitting blind you or prevent you from occasionally QUITTING in
order to come closer to finding your true self/passions . . . hope that
makes some sense!

thru-thinker [doing a lot of thinking tonight!]