[at-l] Who cares?

At 11:14 AM 1/8/2003 -0600, Phil Heffington wrote:
>T. Fort wrote:
>
>"I just find it hard to believe that anyone out there attempting any "long"
>distance hike, really gives a flip about the *other* persons' hike."
>
>It is a strange phenomenon, for sure.  It somehow develops, however,
>during the course of being on the trail for a relatively long period of
>time and being pushed into a definition of your own hike by others.  This
>occurs when other hikers you meet ask you, almost as the first topic of
>greeting or conversation, "Are you thru-hiking?"  There is a sort of
>unspoken bond among those who are, and they are unconsciously, perhaps,
>asking if you want to be, or should be, included in the ingroup.

I've pretty much decided I will try to do it in 4 sections.  During the 1st
I will be t-hiking, the second I will h-hiking, the 3rd r-hiking and the
last u-hiking.  When I'm done I'll have done a t+h+r+u-hike and, if I feel
the need, I can use my handy-dandy computer to print my own certificate
that is as unique as my hike.  Heck, if I printed it before doing the last
section, I could get everyone who summited with me to sign it right then
and there.  Sounds good to me.  :)

Saunterer