[at-l] Genuine Thru Hikes---a Last Comment

Having been away More or Less since Dec. 20th, let me make a few short
comments:
1) A PURE thru-hike would have to consist of no blue or yellow blazing and
done completely in one continuous hike.  With no nights spent off the trail
or in motels, etc.  Few, if any, have done that.  Correction, the earliest
probably did.

2) Today's white blaze trail is not yesterday's "white" blaze trail, and
probably won't be tomorrow's white blaze trail.

3) Anyone who hike the entire white blaze trail with short side trips on
blue or yellow blazes (but not skipping the white; just looping back
around), is doing "more" than those who stay just on the white blazes: I say
this since off-list I had someone complain that coming off the trail at all
(except for a few in and out resupplies) was not "real" thru-hiking.

4) If you do 90% plus of the white blazed trail and only do blue and yellow
blazes for a very good reason (such as a blizzard or flooded bridge or
wildfires) and not for "wow, it looks too steep" reasons, then you deserve
recognition.  Walking 2,000 miles plus deserves recognition no matter what
-- unless most was done hitch-hiking.  That's not walking.

William, The Turtle

PS   When I retire, if not before then, I intend to stay out on the AT until
I complete it.  I intend to do the whole white blaze trail.  Every last inch
of it.  All in one through trip; with limited stays at home or elsewhere:
Since this is likely to be during the Easter Tridium and possibly Christmas,
I may come home for 2 to 5 days at such times.  I also intend to hike or
ride into DC, NYC, and other places that interest me.  I intend to camp out
in a tent most of the time, but to stay at motels, hotels, hostels, bed &
breakfasts when the mood or money strikes me.  I intend to eat GORP and
grits, and go to local VFD "bobby-ques", gourmet restaurants (if they'll let
me in), family style restaurants, etc.  And I defy anyone to say I don't
deserve a 2,000 miler patch.