[at-l] Genuineness of Contemporary Thru-hikes (LONG)

>"...Yep - that's the way it happens.  Fact is that if you don't like the ATC
>2000-miler form, I'd suggest that you write them a letter explaining your thru
>hike to them - and you'll probably get the patch and certificate.  I wouldn't
>guarantee that - but it's what I'd do." argues Jim.

Jim as usual -- well almost usual -- has posted a very wise message. I strongly
urge everyone to read his full message -- not just the excerpt I've mentioned
here. As near as I can figure out, no one has established criteria for
"thru-hiking." ATC has belatedly and half heartedly set criteria for 2,000-miler
recognition.

I wish ATC had more rational criteria, but it remains my conviction that if you
use the ATC 2,000-miler form, you should fill it out honestly. If you can't do
that or don't want to, just write a letter outlining what you did do. As Jim
suggests, I predict you'll get your patch and your certificate and feel much
better for having been honest.

But as you hike, think seriously about what you are trying to accomplish. I'm
not into knitpicking, but I would find it hard to claim thru-hiking or
2,000-miler status, if I had engaged in significant yellow-blazing.

What's significant? That's for each hiker to determine for themselves. But let
me give you an example of what is not significant in my opinion. In 1993, Cloud
and Scout misjudged their ability to do a 20-mile slack pack and ended up riding
with a Shenendoah Park ranger the final mile back to meet Rusty's pickup time at
dusk. One of them asked me if this meant they couldn't claim to be thru hikers
any more. I told them to relax and enjoy the trail and that their transgression
was totally insignificant in the context of a 2,000 mile walk.

Being one of those fuzzy liberals, i think a mile missed here and their,
hitching into town, hitching to beat a post office closing, or perhaps hitching
to avoid inconveniencing someone who has promised to meet you at a trail head
are usually insignificant. But deliberately bypassing large sections of trail
because of sickness, because you are running out of allotted time, or find the
sections boring is not insignificant to my mind and would -- and has -- kept me
from claiming a "thru hike."

Weary