[at-l] Genuineness of Contemporary Thru-hikes

--
In a message dated 1/4/2003 4:05:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
baltimorejack@hotmail.com writes:

> the fact of the matter is, most recent "thru-hikers" have not actually
> hiked the whole Trail, yet the vast majority of these folks with missing
> miles have STILL reported into the A.T.C. that they have, and nobody seems
> bothered by this.

Jack,

With all due respect, you're not out there watching every step by every
hiker.  The ATC does not acknowledge thru-hikers per se, only 2000-milers.
If someone is out there for 4, five or 6 months I don't know of any better
term than thru-hiker, except for maybe long distance hiker.

I'd feel pretty lame calling someone a cheater if I didn't know for a fact,
that they didn't hike the missed sections of trail, at other times.

Give it a break and next time out I suggest that you take a blue blaze or
two.  Or better still, try another long trail, you don't know what you're
missing!  And last, but not least, purity isn't an issue.

Sly