[at-l] More re What's a Pure Thru-hike?

--
the purity issue had been talked about for decades, and inherently will
be the subject of many more conversations in the future - on the Trail,
in lists like this, in person, and in your own head! :)  I would simply
observe these inescapable truths:

1)  If you really want to define pure as pure, no human being is capable
of completing a 100.000000000000000% pure thru-hike.  First, you cannot
step on every inch of the official Trail way.  Second, you cannot even
stride forward over every inch of the official Trail way [the most
obviosu reason being the innumerable downed trees that temporarily block
the path; other reasons being road crossing variations, how you
enter/leave shelters located off the trail, getting lost for a few
steps, going around small flooded areas of the pathway, etc.].  Third,
the definition of the official Trail path changes almost monthly.

2)  Most people will laugh at the above, and then say that is too
technical, but I surely did hike it all.  But if you then start asking
specific questions, the reality simply is that we all are gonna define
hiking it all a little bit differently, because we are each unique in
terms of how we see the world, and see the concept of a "thru-hike."
 [I, for one, think this diversity of views is generally a good thing.]

3)  Even though everyone sees and defines the thru-hike concept a bit
differently, most of us humans crave some sense of common ground and
connection with our fellow hikers, thus there is an inherent "fatal
attraction" to engage in potentially never-ending conversations over the
issue.  The key to achieving some sense of personal resolution is to
keep learning about yourself, respect the opinions of others (but do not
becomes slaves to them), and recognize that you might even change your
views on the issue over time.  I think some people actually hike the
Trail a second time because they have come to a more stable, personally
satisfying idea of what a complete thru-hike means to them, and they
then want to set out that second time to accomplish just that - whatever
it might be!

4)  Most importantly of all, we all need to put our words into action
and get back out there on the Trail again this year - I know I need to!

hike on!

thru-thinker