[at-l] snow

>"...Here on the NJ/PA border we had 7 inches of fresh snow last night...on top
>of 5 inches left over from Christmas. It's a beautiful place around here."
>reports Ed K.

Mid coast Maine has 12 inches or so of new snow -- on top of 7 or 8 inches of
ice encrusted snow from last week. I had to struggle yesterday to reach my
compost pile, safely, given the status of my knees, even more ancient than are
Ed's, but thankfully still not victims of arthritis. The ice in my week-old
snowshoe tracks made walking difficult and dangerous.

However, we both share some beautiful places. I don't have words to describe the
snow as it fell over the salt marsh and tidal estuary that surrounds my house on
two sides. A gaggle of geese huddled together in the shelter of a tiny tidal
stream this morning, escaping the wind and snow of the open bay a few yards
beyond. The village church steeple, a mile down the bay, from time to time
became visible as the northeaster waned before resuming its fury.

But the storm gave up a couple of hours ago. Life would now be perfect -- if the
guy who plows my driveway would only show up.

Weary