[at-l] Help

>...I was only stuck once in that car.(a tiny Karmann Ghia)  I walked out of the
>desert, hitch-hiked home, and returned the next day with a friend and his
>four-wheel-drive pickup truck.  The truck became stuck before we reached my
>car.  A sand storm began so we freed my car and drove home.  The next day we
>retrieved his truck.  He became stuck two more times before we got out."
>reports Steve A.

I don't normally mention this in public, but since we are all friends.... I have
a brother who is in love with Four Wheel Drive Pickup Trucks, and snowmobiles.
Only after weeks of intensive shaming him did he decide not to be an ATV
pioneer.

 Well once many years ago we had planned a hike around the Gulf Hagas Canyon in
 Maine's 100-mile-wilderness, so called.

 At that time the AT crossed the Pleasant river, followed an old logging road,
 and then looped northerly along White Brook to Whitecap. The Gulf Hagas side
 trail was a rough mile or so away. To make a long story short, my brother
 insisted on driving that  mile all the way to the hermitage, a stand of 130
 foot tall pines. We bounced over giant rocks almost as fast as I could have
 walked. "There," Bill said, "No ordinary car or pickup could have done that."

 We hiked around the Gulf, caught a few trout and emerged exhausted 9 hours
 later. "Now you'll appreciate a four-wheel drive," he exclaimed as we
 approached the place where he had parked.

  When we finally arrived at his truck, we discovered, hidden from view by the
  bulk of his pickup, a Ford Mustang, parked right next to him.

  Weary