Re[4]: [at-l] Handbook/Companion

At 09:12 AM 12/7/2002 -0500, Bob C. wrote:
>By the way, I'll be very surprised if in fact a "court" ordered the
>payment. As
>some one has suggested in an off list communication it was "perhaps a nuisance
>payment mandated by the ATC's insurance carrier to just get it over with?" If
>that speculation is true, than it didn't directly consume any of ATC's dues
>money, so we can put that condemnation to rest.

Whoa!  Do you mean there's nothing wrong with filing a nuisance suit that
gets you several thousand insurance dollars because it doesn't come from
ATC's coffers?  I can see ATC or their insurance paying a sum like that out
of court to save the cost of going to court but how does the fact that an
insurance policy paid it make the suit okay?  I'd have a problem with that
logic even where the ATC wasn't invovled.

sAunTerer