[at-l] RE: No Hunting?

--
In a message dated 11/26/2002 2:03:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

>    If quoted correctly, MacKaye specifically calls for useless war energies
> and mis-spent efforts be directed towards building the Trail's corridor as
> sanctuary from those types of urban and social stresses. An environmental
> army (now you know why they were afraid of him)...

In a perfect world, all other countries on this Earth would agree with
MacKay, and therefore all would benefit, and a lot more money would be
available to build the Trail corridors, along with a few other things. I
doubt, though, that any of us are naive enough to believe that we are at this
point existing in this hypothetical perfect world.  At this point in time,
and in the past, given world reality, "useless war energies" contribute to
our being able to sit around and debate this stuff - AND worry about AT
corridors instead of some of the truly horrific things people from some other
countries worry about.  If at the time of MacKays writing the government
listened and actually did away with "useless war energies", I doubt we'd all
be worrying about the AT right now.  We'd have more immediate to our survival
concerns.

If I believed it were useless, I doubt that I'd be so proud of Shannon for
becoming a United States Marine.

I'd like to thank all of those who have posted real Trail questions about
upcoming thru hikes, and all of those who have answered them - believe it or
not, sometimes we actually focus on those types of issues.

Red (who is trying to put off going no mail til Thanksgiving, but wondering
if my delete key can handle the stress - I also was wondering if this post
were vague, fuzzy, or something, but I think in this instance I actually had
a point . . . )