From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
Slyatpct@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 8:38 PM
To: blisterfree@earthlink.net; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] AT Hiker Shot By Hunter

--
In a message dated 11/24/2002 8:26:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
blisterfree@earthlink.net writes:

> I'm somewhat surprised to see the victim's name
> in print, given her age and the as-yet undetermined motive for firing
the
> gun.

This is from a Atlanta TV station:

A hunter mistakenly shot a teenaged girl Sunday as she hiked along the
Appalachian Trail in Union County.

The victim, 16-year-old Rachel Ferguson of Cartersville, underwent
surgery at
St. Joseph's Hospital in Fulton County and is expected to recover.

The bullet fired into Ferguson's right arm, crossed her chest, and
lodged in
her collar bone. She was listed in serious but stable condition.

Authorities took the hunter, identified as 21-year-old Matthew Bryant,
into
custody for questioning and later released him. No charges were filed.

Ferguson's mother said the bullet missed her daughter's heart by half an
inch.

"She is very blessed. God had his hand on Rachel today," Gwen Owens told
11Alive's Renee Starzyk.

The young hunter apparently saw something move and opened fire,
authorities
said.

"I think that the hunter safety course teaches that you don't fire until
you
know what you're shooting at. You have to have your target in your
sights. I
don't know why this could have happened," Owens said.

The Department of Natural Resources said hunting is allowed in the area
where
Ferguson was shot, but that hunters are suppose to be certain of their
target
before they open fire.

"Be careful. You don't know what you're shooting at. Unless it's in your
scope, in your sights, you don't know what it is. Don't shoot," said the
victim's sister, Randi Ferguson.

The victim was on her first overnight camping trip with her scouting
group
when the accident happened.