From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of janet hensley
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 8:10 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] AT Hiker Shot By Hunter

--

We had a rumor running down the trail for weeks about a South Bound
Thruhiker being shot by an arrow on the first day of bow season. We were
fairly sure that it was a rumor by the way the story kept getting BIGGER
AND BETTER with each telling. It never happened... at least not to the
girl it was supposed to have happened to and we have had no official
news of such an incident. But each time the story came up, the situation
with hunters on and near the trail was discussed. For weeks now, the
SOBO's have told about deer blinds set up near the trail and tree stands
set up to sight right down the AT! Those out hiking right now have seen
MANY hunters using the AT to get to hunting areas... of course they were
walking with loaded guns "just in case they got lucky". I have been
passing out blaze orange ribbon and jokingly telling hikers to SING!
LOUDLY!

I am really sorry to hear about the young girl and I hope she recovers
quickly.

Miss Janet in Erwin

Miss Janet

MIss Janet's House
220 North Elm Ave
http://www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse
Erwin, Tn 37650

Full Service Hiker Bunk and Breakfast
Hiker Shuttles from Hot Springs,NC to Damascus, VA
(423)743-1932 home/leave message