[at-l] Stoves

I met 2 thru-hikers (Turbo and ??)  this summer (out of about 10 or 12
thru-hikers I met) who used Pocket Rockets so it must be feasible.  Another
hiker (Duck Tape) said they were popular among thru-hikers (along with
Wisperlights). I even offered to give one an extra 4 oz canister I had when
I left off my section hike and she (Turbo) refused.  She didn't want to
carry the extra weight.  Her next mail drop/resupply spot was Hanover so I
guess she knew they would have them.  They also had them in Rangeley.

So this is very spotty information based on NH and ME but the fact that they
made it that far seems indicative.

My experience with the 8 oz. MSR canister lasts about 30 meals, so that
gives a fair amount of leeway for where to find replacements.

You can also get canisters in hunting stores (although I think the typical
hunter canister is heavier than the MSR ones - heavier guage metal)  which
are everywhere, even where hiking stores are scarce.  I suggest you shop
around at local hunting stores and see how these work for your stove.  Also
test how many meals you get out of a canister depending on how you cook (I
just boil water, pour it in the zip lock, and let the food "cook").  If you
simmer a lot you'll use more than I did.

Pb