From: Cosmo.A.Catalano@williams.edu
Date: Saturday, November 23, 2002 3:10:07 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Re:nonsense, or not

The costs of ADA access aren't just in ramps. And being disabled, dosen't
jsut
mean legless. The entire building must be equally accessible to handicapped
folks as to others. Door knobs are now paddles that can be manipulated by
people
w/weak or fingerless hands/arms. Signage must be in braile or raised letters

Every room, doorway, entry way etc. must have room for a 5ft diameter
turning
area for wheelchairs. Toilets, sinks, counters, mirrors,etc. must be useable
by
both "normally" abled and disabled people.

Is it silly to include these standards in a location where disabled people
are
unlikely to go? I would have thought so some years ago, but now not I'm not
so
sure. Yes it is government run amok, but as a human, it personally makes me
uneasy to exclude other members of the species because of their appearance
or
other things that are beyond their control--especially when we have the
ability
to make it possible not to.

Now deep in the details of the planning and construction of a new theatre
building, I can testify that one of the significant factors driving the
design of
not just the auditorium area, but of the backstage facilities, studios,
classrooms etc., is the accomodation of people in whleelchairs. Shall we
expect
disabled humans to only attend cultural events and schools, and never try to
test
themselves in the outdoors? I don't think so.

Cosmo