[at-l] Re:nonsense, or not

Ted, I couldn't agree more.  I strongly--no make that fiercly--believe the AT is
for foot travel only.  People have worked too hard to create it, build it, nuture
it and protect it to see it "become a sidewalk".  My long term fear is that after
it fades from it's current popularity (in 10, 15, 20 years?), will the government
regulations that it is becoming increasingly burdened with finally scare away all
of our hardworking volunteers?  Will the trail again become a series of
disconnected segments disruped by stretches of abandoned, unmaintained trail?  I
can tell you that it won't happen in Mass as long as I can get out there.  I seem
to be in one of my darker moods, I fear.

As to the economics, you are correct, we are seeing more and more money out there
hiking around.  But I know for certain it isn't necessary to have an unusual
amount money to hike the AT (other than the ongoing, daily necessities of life).
Yes, it's easier to stay in the #@$%^! huts in the Whites and pay the campground
fees in the Greens, but it still can be done on a shoestring with cheap
(realtively) gear and economical choices at town stops.

Cosmo