Re[2]: [at-l] Alcohol Stoves

>>   2)  How easy is it to get the denatured alcohol on the AT?

Sac> I use the the gasline antifreeze HEET.  It only cost about $.10, per ounce in
Sac> a 12 ounce bottle, which is about what you pay for white gas.  It was
Sac> available in nearly every town along the trail. Also, it can legally be
Sac> mailed ground with proper labeling to hostels, outfitters, etc.

It's pretty easy to find... I wouldn't consider it a problem. You
gotta be careful with HEET however. If you buy the methyl alcohol kind
at least. That stuff is highly toxic. It can be absorbed through your
skin as well as by breathing its fumes. It affects the central nervous
system and it ain't pretty. You could accidentally drink some white
gas and get away with it, but as little as one ounce of methyl can be
lethal. And with as many people that carry their alcohol in plastic
coke bottles this IS an issue. Ironically, Aspartame (Nutrasweet)
contains methyl alcohol, but that's another issue altogether.
Denatured alcohol is mostly grain alcohol tainted with methyl. I
wouldn't mail the alcohol (along the AT at least) since it would make
the price of usage crazy.

--Scooby AT02