[at-l] Cold Mountain

Hi Gang,

=09I spent Friday night on Cold Mnt. It was 27* and in a cloud all night. T=
he Rhime Frost fell like sleet as the gusty winds shook the trees. There is=
 a nice piped spring about 5 minuets from the crest.
=09Saturday morning when I got to Shinning Rock Gap Karen was waiting for m=
e there. The sun felt really good in that little wind blocked field so we l=
ay around basking and watching with amusement as people passed through this=
 busy intersection.
=09Now you have to realize that there are no signs and the trails have no b=
lazes so it is confusing. Most folks will not ask directions right off. And=
 you should respect this and not spoil there fun by butting in unless they =
ask for information. The really funny thing is that people that do not know=
 where they are often give directions to other folks that come along.
=09About 14 Boy Scoutes moved in to our quite spot with there FRS radios bl=
asting and then there was that one kid that blew a whistle constantly hahah=
a. I was real disappointed to find they left camp this morning without putt=
ing out there fire. Those 4 adults just taught ten kids that it is all righ=
t to leave a fire burning. The really bad thing is they parked next to a si=
gn that said no more than ten people in any group and NO fires in the Wilde=
rness. Go figure. The Ranger said that church groups
and Scout groups where there biggest problem.
=09We expected the temperatures to drop into the teens last night but a low=
 moved in and it stayed above freezing with just a little rain. On my way o=
ut the Art Loeb trail I ran into Jan and Mike who where doing the ART this =
weekend. Lightshoe was headed to the Daniel Boone Camp to complete her hike=
.
=09All in all it was a wonderful weekend. Karen and I visited an Outfitter =
then had lunch and I came home :-)

chase