[at-l] Cold Mountain

You KNOW it's a SMALL world  when ya can have supper with a guy one Sunday
in West Virginia, then TWO Sundays later just happen to run into him in the
wilds of western North Carolina!

Actually, I was pushing to make a shuttle at the other end of the Art Loeb
Trail, and was asking for simple information from those I passed - how far
was it to Shining Rock, how was the water? I got a variety of answers, none
of them sure, and many blank stares.

So there I was, minding my own business, peering at my map, when I see this
Hiker-looking dude (capital H) striding southbound down from Grassy Cove
Top. He just had The Look of Competence.

He was dressed sensibly, with a home-made doo-rag/Lawrence of Arabia sort o=
thing on his head, carrying a small, lightweight pack, striding out with
authority and grace, using his poles in the practiced manner of one who use=
poles as an extension of their bodies.

"Ah!" I thought. "I'll ask HIM. HE'LL know."
And he did, answering my question in positive manner.

"Ah," I said, looking up from my map. I peered closer. "Don't I know you?" =
asked stupidly,  experiencing synaptic lapse and contextual discord.

"It's me, Chase," said the Hiker Creature, and then laughed. "I knew you
were going to be out here. Woodelf told me. Pog is out here too."

Talk about dislocation!

So, Chase, what WAS that thing on your head? An old t-shirt?
;-)

It WAS cold (we had an ice fight on Saturday) and if I can get my mess
together, I may post a trip report.

I will say this: "MY GOD! What a treasure is the Art Loeb (it's not the
cakewalk I thought it would be), and the whole Pisgah!

Charles Davidson wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
>         I spent Friday night on Cold Mnt. It was 27* and in a cloud all n=
ight. The Rhime Frost fell like sleet as the gusty winds shook the trees. T=
here is a nice piped spring about 5 minuets from the crest.
>         Saturday morning when I got to Shinning Rock Gap Karen was waitin=
g for me there. The sun felt really good in that little wind blocked field =
so we lay around basking and watching with amusement as people passed throu=
gh this busy intersection.
>         Now you have to realize that there are no signs and the trails ha=
ve no blazes so it is confusing. Most folks will not ask directions right o=
ff. And you should respect this and not spoil there fun by butting in unles=
s they ask for information. The really funny thing is that people that do n=
ot know where they are often give directions to other folks that come along=
.
>         About 14 Boy Scoutes moved in to our quite spot with there FRS ra=
dios blasting and then there was that one kid that blew a whistle constantl=
y hahaha. I was real disappointed to find they left camp this morning witho=
ut putting out there fire. Those 4 adults just taught ten kids that it is a=
ll right to leave a fire burning. The really bad thing is they parked next =
to a sign that said no more than ten people in any group and NO fires in th=
e Wilderness. Go figure. The Ranger said that church groups
> and Scout groups where there biggest problem.
>         We expected the temperatures to drop into the teens last night bu=
t a low moved in and it stayed above freezing with just a little rain. On m=
y way out the Art Loeb trail I ran into Jan and Mike who where doing the AR=
T this weekend. Lightshoe was headed to the Daniel Boone Camp to complete h=
er hike.
>         All in all it was a wonderful weekend. Karen and I visited an Out=
fitter then had lunch and I came home :-)