[at-l] early start

Gary

Just go ahead and ask your questions on the list. There are several
hikers who can give you good info.  I started this year's NOBO thru-hike
on Feb 19th.

My first suggestion is to make sure that you are prepared for alot
of cold and wet weather.  The weather earlier this year wasn't nearly
as cold or snowy as it could have been and I still encountered temps
below zero in Georgia.  Thru-hikers who were less than a week ahead
encountered -10 degrees F in the Smokies coupled with a few feet of
snow.  By the time I reached Clingman's Dome (around March 12th), the
snow had melted into a very smooth icy luge course.  At the time I
really wished for some in-step crampons.

During my hike March weather was worse than February with a seemingly
neverending cycle of wet followed by cold, and sometimes both. If you
don't spend extra cash for a water repellent sleeping bag, you should
buy some trash compactor bags to keep your bag drier than by itself in
your pack.  I suggest the compactor bags even if you do spend the xtra
cash.

You may not see many people on the list who started early but we are
certainly out here.  If you ask specific questions, you will get lots
of answers.

Icebeard
GAME'02