[at-l] Roan->Waynesboro temps in April/May

> Anybody know, or know how I can find, what the coldest temp I'm
> likely to encounter hiking on the AT between Roan Mountain and
> Waynesboro in late April to Mid-May?

Cold Mountain in Virginia, Mother's Day 1995: a sleet storm on top of the
bald, with 30+ mph winds, and we're wearing shorts and t-shirts. (It was 60
degrees in Richmond when we left home that morning.)

Mt Rogers, April 1996 - rain changed to freezing rain, sleet, then snow as I
made my way up Wilburn Ridge. That plus the nasty wind made it quite chilly.

A couple of years ago we drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway at the end of
May, and it was downright *cold.*

On the other hand, April in the high country in VA can be really beautiful,
with warm days and cool nights. The coldest temps really depend on the
weather that year, but I would bring my 10-degree sleeping bag, good rain
gear, fleece jacket and long johns, plus a good hat and mittens.

Ken