[at-l] Changes in trail preferences - Shelter vs. tent

> What kind of trail preference changes did you experience over the time you hiked the trail?

When I was a kid, in the 1960s in Pakistan and Afghanistan, we used either open air or tents.
I hated tents. I hated the ground.
When I went to college in the early 1970s, we used sheets of plastic above and a poncho below in
the boundary waters area in northern Minn ... and I thought about hammocks as a solution to the
roots and rocks below.
Marriage meant compromise ... so we went with a tent and traveled by car ...
When I started hiking again in the late 1990s I recalled the ground and bought a $13 hammock I
still use today and a cheap Wallyworld cammotarp. Now I have a custom tarp that's bigger and
lighter, but I know there are lighter tarps ... I've stayed with the hammock and tarp since ...

=====
David Addleton
vocate atque non vocate deus aderit
http://dfaddleton.home.att.net/