[at-l] The new hiking profile

> This was before my consciousness of artifacts that been
> raised, so please don't send me any nastygrams.  We day
> hiked into an old logging campsite--complete with a
> rusting 40's era truck, old equipment likewise rusting,
> etc.  I found a large cast iron gear that I thought
> would make a great candle holder, especially with
> some dried flowers in some of the oval openings.

Isn't it amazing how time can transform 'junk' into precious historical
artifacts?  Sheesh!  So, how did the candle holder turn out?

> They pulled out that gear.  I smiled again and said, "It
> will make a great candle holder with some dried flowers
> tucked around it."  They stared blankly, then shook
> their heads and sent me on my way.

For some reason, whenever I fly, I ALWAYS get the hard treatment.  I don't
know if it's the way I look or if there is an FAA file on me somewhere.  I
could go through security in a Speedo, and they'd still stop me.  It never
fails.

For the most part, I now refuse to fly, but when I have to I like to take
interesting things through security.  A carefully wrapped brick, for
instance, among other things.  I have sometimes considered bringing a jar of
cockroaches...  I've also wanted to cut a handgun silhouette out of a piece
of aluminum foil and tape it inside my luggage, but post 9-11 this seems
rather foolish.

The other thing that drives security crazy is to talk to your invisible
dog...

Shane