  From: SLIM aka Nancy
  To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 9:14 AM
  Subject: [at-l] RE: Water filters & Urine

  > And the water was so scarce people were pumping from practically mud
  > puddles.  One guy said there was a frog in one puddle he had to pump fr=
om.

  On our section hike of the AT we carried a PUR Hiker filter.  We are stil=
  on the first filter. To keep the filter from clogging...We take along a 3
  oz. water bag (you could also use a gallon size zip lock bag) into which =
we
  dip water for filtering.  The mud particles settle in the bag ...Then we
  filter from the bag to our drinking bottles.  We probably have 3000 miles=
 on
  the Pur Hiker and its never clogged.
  SLIM aka Nancy