[at-l] humor

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 02:29 PM, DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:

> --
> I was laughing my you know what off at the Trail Maintenance story :)

Me too.  Reminds me of the time I came across a Valkyrie in Dolly Sods.
It was pouring down rain and had been for days.  She ways standing
with her back to me in the middle of the trail, moving large rocks around
and mumbling to herself.  There was a big, sharp looking axe right
next to her. She had a single long blonde braid.  She was wearing  fitted
shorts and a campshirt, and she looked very strong.

As I walked up behind her, I knew she wouldn't hear me through the rain.
I had no idea why she was there but I was a bit afraid of her.  I hadn't
seen people in a while, and certainly none like this.  It was a long,
long way back to where I was going if I turned around.   I stopped
out of axe range and cleared my throat.  She still didn't hear me.
I think may have been singing.

After a pause I raised my voice and greeted her.  She jumped upright
and whirled around, looking startled.  She had assumed she was
alone in the park.  She was a trail maintainer, trying to fix a waterbar
by herself so the trail wouldn't wash away in the tail end of the
hurricane
that was making everything so soggy.

Not quite the same as a man entirely covered in grass, weedwhacking
in rain and thunder, but memorable none the less.  :)  I giggled at the
thought of the two of us much of the way home.

Thanks to that trip, somewhere in West Virginia there's a gopher who
is the proud owner of a fuel bottle top.

-amy