[at-l] Walden (was Bryson's Book)

--
At 12:38 PM 9/17/2002 -0500, kahley wrote:

>Please tell me it is just an ordinary pond, except, of course for the
>tourista effects?

As with Mara, I live about fifteen minutes away from Walden Pond.

The only thing that makes it special is that Thoreau wrote about it.
There's a replica of Thoreau's hut next to the parking lot.  The
actual site of Thoreau's original hut is well removed from the pond,
as I recall.

It has a swimming beach, and a trail around the perimeter.  There
are other trails that connect to it and will take you to the Concord
River, a couple miles to the west.  Canoes and kayaks are allowed,
sailboats and powerboats are not.  It's a favorite spot for joggers,
lovers, strollers, etc.

It gets pretty crowed in the summertime, but when I walked the perimeter
trail in May of this year, it was still pretty empty.  I met maybe ten other
people in the course of a two-hour walk to the river and back.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---