[at-l] Boredom (was Bryson's bookl)

At 12:43 PM 9/13/02 -0400, AHuthmaker@aol.com wrote:
>--
>In a message dated 9/13/2002 10:15:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>rafe@oasissemi.com writes:
>

> > For those like Ginny who have actually completed one
> > or more long hikes, I'm full of awe and envy.  For those
> > others who speak of the endless fascination of the woods --
> > without having actually completed a very long hike --
> > well, you'll forgive me, I hope, for being a bit skeptical.
> >

>        I gotta tell you, Rafe.....I didn't find your post cynical at all.
>Pretty much I just thought you were being honest!  And I was impressed by
>your candor cause it seems like this topic has the potential to become a
>competition of sorts.  At times, I feel like if a hiker voices boredom, then
>he or she must be less of a hiker because they can't find true fulfillment in
>nature alone.

Well if anyone says that...it's crap.  I think, at least for me, I was born
easily distracted.  While that may mean 'unfocused' to some people,
to me  it means my attention is easily attracted so I'm not easily bored.
But 600 times on the same loop....

Yep, I looked 'in' but not in quiet introspection....that would get...well
boring <g>.  I'm an wannabee architect so I designed things in my head.
Hostels, dream trails, RVs, private rail cars....kitchens...lotsa stuff.
I used books on tapes and music..on tape and in my head.  Think of
all four parts of a harmony or a quartet.  I bought those little books of
crossword puzzles...the hard ones .  It's amazing how many mental
trails' 8 across' can lead you to.  I reran my favorite movies in my
head.  Thought about old lovers.  Counted steps in an hour or breathes
in an hour. Learned to say the alphabet backwards.  Added 14.
Anything!!!  Anything _but_ think about how bored I was or the Trail was.
That's the killer....allowing yourself to focus on the boredom, or at least
it is for me.  YMMV

>Not being an avid MTV watcher, I do have an attention span
>that exceeds three minutes *G*....., but hour upon hour of the same thing can
>get mind numbingly boring!!!  Even if it is something as wonderful as the
>outdoors!!

So think of something else.  That's the secret, I think <g>.  You can let
yourself
be bored off the Trail or you can look inside yourself and find something
else to think about until nature distracts you.  Or you can try hiking
blindfolded
like i did .  Certainly not boring but not recommended either