[at-l] Bryson's Book

--
At 09:04 AM 9/12/2002 -0500, Felix wrote:

>Kinda like me trying to figure out how someone can enjoy watching a soccer
>match...boring. Yet, lots of folx seem to like that. I'd rather slosh along in
>ankle-deep slush all day than listen to a Madonna song, or watch a Mel Gibson
>movie. It's probably the same reason that some folx like anchovies, and some
>don't. And, I'm one of those guys that enjoyed every minute of the
>trail...even
>the bad ones.

Ah, in that case it seems to me you're using the word "enjoy"
in a different sense than the one I'm familiar with.

I'm not referring to the gestalt of the AT or the "milieu."  That's
something that most of us on AT-L can agree on, and it's
overwhelmingly a positive one (and even Bryson would agree,
I think.)  I'm referring to the moment, the here-and-now of it,
for better and for worse.

Honestly, I can't imagine any human activity, or any period
of my life where I could feel (or have felt) constant enjoyment
for a period of months on end.  I don't believe it's possible.

Even sex and drugs and rock'n'roll couldn't hold me for that long.

But hey, I'm with you on Mel and Madonna.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---