Re[2]: [at-l] Bryson's Book

--
At 09:03 AM 9/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>"...None  thought  it  was  a  real  representation  of  THE  TRAIL  ..."
>thinks
>DaRedhead.
>
>I  read  the  book  and  was  amused,  while recognizing that it provides
>a very
>distorted, albeit humerous, picture of the trail experience.
>
>I  became  concerned when a very bright neighbor, an immigrant from
>England, who
>has  lived  in  this  country  for  50  years and who reads far more
>books, both
>serious and frivolous than I do, asked me "Is the trail really like that?"

Really like what, exactly?

To say Bryson's view is distorted isn't quite apropos, IMHO.
 From where I sit, Bryson's account was far more honest than
dozens of others that I've read.

It is every reader's individual responsibility to sort the facts
from the caricatures.  With regard to Bryson's book, this
didn't seem to take a huge mental effort.

Bryson claims, repeatedly, that the trail is long, hard, and
boring.  Many might disagree, at least with the 2nd and 3rd
points.  But there's enough truth there to warrant writing down,
and one can hardly claim that Bryson is "dishonest" for saying
such things.

Certainly Bryson is no less honest than those who claim
to have "enjoyed every minute of the trail."

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---