[at-l] Bryson's Book

--
In a message dated 9/9/02 7:18:48 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
orangebug74@yahoo.com writes:

> I've yet to have anyone attempt to ram Bryson's book down my throat, but

Near as I can tell, the majority of people on the list view it as interesting
reading (interesting because the AT is involved) and some found it amusing
(mostly the southern folks he made most fun of or people who have thru'd and
therefore just smiled as they read) and some lost interest after halfway thru
(I think thats just cause he pretty much stopped hiking by then, and while
the history was interesting, it just wasn't an interesting or even funny book
anymore) but mostly - every time this subject comes up, I can't remember
anyone trying to ram the book down anyones throat.  And while the folks who
object strongly to it seem to object strongly to it, and the folks that seem
to have enjoyed it appear to have enjoyed it - I never saw it as a really
horribly divisive subject for hikers to discuss.  I mean, yea, we all have
different feelings.  We have feelings about that ;)  And yea, the new listers
might wonder what the heck we're talking about - but - really - it was a
book.  We have a lot of folks on this list with excellent books published - I
won't go into the whole list, but Lynn Setzer and Rhymin' Worm come to mind.
Granted, a book or journal about the AT has a limited audience, unless you
happen to be a previously published and humorous author like Bryson, but
probably those of us who hike and love the Trails like those other books or
journals more.  I'd guess that the readers of his book fell into three
catagories - those who know the AT, and didn't like the book, those that know
the AT and laughed, and those that never heard of the AT, or vaguely knew
about it, and after reading the book found themselves fascinated with the
concept of "an uninterrupted path from Georgia to Maine".  Some or all of the
above groups laughed every now and then.  Some lost interest.  None thought
it was a real representation of THE TRAIL - because those that thought "wow,
a trail running for that many miles, I think I'll look into it" did look into
it.  The rest of us already knew what it was about.  I find it odd that
anyone would object to someone exercising their right to publish a book about
a subject.  Yea, it wasn't a good description of thru hikers.  But it WAS
about this Trail that went from GA to ME - or ME to GA if you're Felix ;)
Even the people who never heard of the Trail probably did a search on the
'net after reading it - and I doubt that too many people take it as a real
picture of thru hiking or the Trail itself.  I guess I'm saying, as an old
list timer, and avid Trail lover, I still don't get the controversy about
this book.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  Fortunately, I'm allowed to express that
here (I love you, Ryan  :-)   )

Red