[at-l] compression bags

All bags are useless when wet. If it is cold and your bag is wet, you
will get into trouble from using your body heat to attempt to dry a wet
bag - regardless of the stuffing. If you fail to keep a sleeping bag in
some water resistant cover, you will eventually have a very bad night.

Most people have a very effective tool to reduce the air volume in the
sleeping bag and nylon bag cover - your butt. You simply put the nylon
bag in an open trash bag and sit on it to squeeze out the air and
volume. Then you roll the trash bag around this to reduce any risk of
getting the bag wet and to prevent air getting back in.

A sleeping bag should be among the most highly prized/priced components
of gear. Your boots are probably the only other piece of gear that you
will occupy longer. Given that down bags can be found for less than
many of the backpacks marketed, it makes sense to count pennies and
ounces. If you plan to do more than a single season's hike, a more
expensive down bag should last a lifetime. I'd spend half of a gear
budget on a sleeping bag, easily.

Bill...