[at-l] dropping pack to do side trips in Maine

"...Any danger from humans (theft) to my pack? " asks Papa Bear.

Nothing  is  certain in this world. But I've found that packs are safe when left
at  isolated  places  on  the  trail.  The  side trails to Abraham and Sugarloaf
qualify as isolated. I'd carry my money with me, but not worry about the rest of
my stuff.

Animals  are a problem mostly around campsites, where they learn that packs mean
food.  I  have  left  packs  away  from  campsites  and have never had an animal
problem.  Again,  nothing is certain. I would carry emergency rations and gamble
on  the rest. At both trail heads you are only a few miles from civilization and
resupply points.

Several  times  I  have  stashed  food  at trail heads while hiking several days
through Maine. None has ever been molested.

Weary